Тип: Урок вдосконалення мовленнєвих навичок і вмінь
Форми організації: групова, індивідуальна, інтерактивна
Методи: мозковий штурм, робота в малих групах, «Ажурна пилка», прийом проведення рефлексії.
- активізувати лексико-граматичні навички усного мовлення з теми;
- практикувати учнів в читанні зі значним обсягом інформації за короткий проміжок часу;
- практикувати учнів в аудіюванні
формувати соціокультурну компетенцію;
вчити працювати з довідковою літературою, інтернет-ресурсами
- розвивати слухову, зорову пам'ять, логічне та творче мислення;
- розвивати уміння аргументовано захищати свою думку
- формувати культурні смаки;
- активізувати творчі та ділові здібності учнів
Оснащення: комп’ютер, інтерактивна дошка, тексти для читання
Підтема: Welcome to the World of Food
1. Introduction. Greeting
T. Good morning! Nice to see you. How is it going with you today? I hope you are well, P1?!
P1. Yes, sure. I am fine.
T. And what about you, P2?
P2. I am all right.
T. Are you in high spirit, P3?
P3. Of course, I am. I have a nice mood.
T. Any problems, P4?
P4. No problems. Everything is OK.
T. I am glad to hear you are fine. Are you ready to start our lesson?
Ps. Yes, we are.
T. Our today’s topic is “Welcome to the World of Food”. The main task is to demonstrate how magic and mysterious the world of known and unknown food is. Brainstorm why people eat?
(На інтерактивній дошці зображення схеми)
for keeping energy
from force of habit
T. Explain in 2 or 3 sentences what is meant by each of these points.
Gr1. (for pleasure): Tastes differ. People really have different tastes. But some of them eat too much food. It’s bad.
Gr2. (for keeping energy): People need proteins, fats and carbohydrates, because they give us energy.
Gr3. (to live): We cannot live without food. Because it regulates body functions. But eating isn’t the main thing in our life.
Gr4. (from force of habit): If people eat from force of habit they become fatter.
T. What is the main point?
P. People eat to live.
T. Right you are! So the motto of the lesson is “Live not to eat but eat to live” (девіз з’являється на дошці). At the end of the lesson we’ll be able to distinguish healthy food from unhealthy one.
3. Vocabulary practice
a) T. Guess the words by their descriptions:
(Учні озвучують загадки, які підготували заздалегідь. Решта повинні їх відгадати.)
- a desire for food, a discomfort caused by a need for food, starvation (hunger);
- a room or place for cooking (kitchen);
- one who eats no meat (vegetarian), etc.
b) T. Let’s create a mind-map
(Pupils say in turn what associations come to their minds when they hear the word “food” and fill in the mind-map)
Ps. When I hear the word “food” I think of sweets, etc.
4. Grammar play.
T.Let’s play! P1, be my helping hand! You are welcome!
P1. Look! I have two magic boxes for countable and uncountable nouns. Please, help me to put the words into the correct boxes. Say “I can count …” or “I can’t count …”
5. Work in pairs
a) The students decide whether these foods come from an animal or plant origin. If it comes from an animal, they decide if the animal lives on the land or in the water. And after that the students put the words into the correct boxes.
Crab, chocolate, kebabs, hamburger, chicken, salmon, apple pie, orange juice, pears, peas, lamb, steak, chips, lemonade, strawberries.
animal origin (land)
animal origin (sea)
b) The teacher asks the students to make a list of 5 different items of food and read it out. The other students must say:
— if they are good for us or not;
— how much we should or shouldn’t eat.
Fruit. Fruit is very good for us. It contains vitamins. We should eat a lot.
Biscuits. Biscuits are not very good for us. They are made with sugar. We shouldn’t eat too many.
6. Speech skills
T. Make up statements using these situations
Model. You are at a restaurant. You notice that your glass is not clean. You stop a waiter who is passing by and say “I’d like a clean glass, please”. (“Will you please bring me a clean glass?”)
- You want some salt for steak and the waiter is just going by. You call him and say...
- You ordered a steak. The waiter has brought you something which you can neither cut nor eat. You say...
- You are not satisfied with everything at a restaurant. You call the owner of the restaurant and say..., etc.
Підтема: Home-made or Fast food.
1. Warming-up. Tongue Twister
Betty Botter made some butter.
“But”, she said, “This batter’s bitter”.
“So”, she said, “I’ll buy some butter,
It will make the butter better!”
So, Betty Botter bought some butter
Just to make the butter better.
“Alas”, she sighed. “This butter’s better —
But it’s still a little bitter”.
a) Pre-listening activity.
T. Give either translation or definition of the following words: home-made food, to cook, fast food, tea, coffee, spoon, fork, knife, table manners, to keep elbow of the table, to take away, dessert, ice-cream.
b) While-listening activity.
(Pupils listen to the text and do the task.)
True or False.
- When we have no time we usually go to cafes and restaurants.
- If we are busy we have our meals at home.
- We often use knives when we have our meals at home.
- We must remember about table manners when we are in a restaurant.
- For dessert you may have ham or chicken.
- Food in restaurants is for all tastes.
- We prefer home-made food.
c) Post-listening activity.
T. Answer the questions.
- Do we all prefer home-made food?
- Where do we go when we have no time to have our meals at home?
- What do we do when we are in a hurry and have no time to have your meal in a restaurant?
- What must we remember about when we come to a restaurant?
- What fruit do we eat for dessert?
3. Group work
T. I’d like to draw your attention to fast food restaurants. It’s known that fast food is popular not only in the USA but also around the world. Are you “for” or “against” fast food? Take a strip. If you have a white strip, you are “for” fast food. If a black one, you’re “against” fast food.
T. You have about 5 minutes. Your task is in your groups to take any role you like: a speaker, a secretary, a timekeeper or an expert. A speaker will comment on the statements. A secretary will write down the arguments. A timekeeper will keep the time. An expert will control the process.
Give advantages and disadvantages of fast food restaurants 2 from each group and comment them.
(Pupils work in groups and fill in the chart)
You can eat in or take away any food you like.
Risk of diseases
Fast food is high in fat and sugar and finger food is dangerous for health
Innovations in operations and products
Toys for children and organizing birthday parties
Are fast food restaurants a good idea?
Junk food is low on proteins and carbohydrates
You can order and pick up food from your cars.
Neither healthy nor natural
It’s prepared in industrial way but it is low in vitamins and minerals
Cheap and convenient to eat
It’s served in bags or plastic wrappings
People eat fast food in a hurry
It is bad for your health when you are overweight.
4. Relaxation time
T. It’s high time to relax a bit. You’ll work in groups.
a) The first group will make a cinquain, a poem without rhyme. You have 3 minutes at your disposal. Follow this instruction!
Growing, cooking, eating
Has a lot of vitamins!
b) The second group will get right idioms!
As cool as cucumber
- to be reserved towards others
- to be strong
- to be very calm in any situation (+)
To be in the soup
- to be in trouble (+)
- to be in a bad company
- to be in a bad health
To spill the bins
- to tell a lie to somebody
- to tell a secret to somebody (+)
- to make a mistake
In a nutshell
- in a small room
- in a protective place
- in a few words (+)
c) Groups 3 and 4 are good at dialogues
(Учні драматизують діалоги)
Підтема: American Food.
1. Warming-up.Vocabulary practice
The Game “Who Knows More Word Combinations?”
The teacher says the word “meat” for example. The students have to name all word combinations with the word “meat”.
Student: boiled meat, stewed meat, tasty meat, etc.
If he names less than 3 word combinations, he’s out of the game.
2. Reading (text “American Food”)
T.You are going to read the text about American food.
a) Pre-reading activity. Vocabulary
(Presenting of unknown words)
Patron– regular customer at a shop/restaurant
Tips– gift of money to a waiter for services
b) While-reading activity(читання тексту за методом «Ажурна пилка»)
T.The aim is to pick up the main information from the text and to teach other members of your group.
c) Post-reading activity
Answer the questions in groups.
- What is American food like? What does the word “brunch” mean?
- Are fast food restaurants popular? Why do you think so?
- How many types of restaurants are there in the USA? What are they? What is the difference between them?
- Does a waiter come to take the patrons order in full-service restaurants? What do the Americans do to express satisfaction with service?
T. Any restaurant isn’t a restaurant without an advertisement. Your task was to make up an advertisement of a restaurant. Who are the managers in your groups?
(Учні показують презентації ресторанів)
T. Good of you! I think you will be real businessmen in future!
T. Unfortunately, our lesson has come to its end. What do you think of our lesson? Did you like it?
a) Look at these two faces which express your emotions. Take a strip and write down your impressions but not in a usual way. Give adjectives on our topic of food you either like or dislike. Stick them to the corresponding face.
(Tasty, fresh, delicious, yummy, healthy, well-cooked // bitter, sour, etc.)
T. Take your evaluation cards and fill them in. Discuss your marks in your groups.
5. Home Assignment
(Домашнє завдання на вибір)
1. «Іноземні мови в навчальних закладах», 2008.
2. Калінін В. Крізь призму соціокультурного контексту. Формування соціокультурної компетенції учнів загальноосвітніх навчальних закладів: Шляхи розв’язання проблем // Іноземні мови в навчальних закладах. – 2004. – № 1. – С. 130-135.
3. Комунікативні методи та матеріали для викладання англійської мови. Oxford University Press 1998. Перекладено і адаптовано Л. В. Биркун.
4. Пометун О. І. Енциклопедія інтерактивного навчання. – К., 2007. – 144 с.
5. Соціокультурна компетенція. Витяг з Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: learning, teaching, assessment. Council of Europe, pp 118-122, CUP, 2003.
6. Технології розвитку критичного мислення учнів/ Кроуфорд А., Саул В., Метьюз С., Макінстер Д.; Наук. ред., передм. О. І. Пометун. – К.: Вид-во «Плеяди», 2006. – 220 с.
Text for Listening
We all prefer home-made food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so we like to have our meals at home. But when we are at work, have no time or don’t want to cook we usually go to the cafes or fast food restaurants to have our lunch or dinner there. If we are very busy to have à quick sandwich with coke, tea or coffee in a café, we may take food away to have it later in an office, at home or in a car.
We use spoons and forks at home but very seldom knives. At restaurant we must remember about table manners, use knives and napkins, keep our elbows off the table. Food in restaurants is for all tastes" sandwiches with beef, ham or chicken, fried potatoes and cucumbers, cabbage and carrots. For dessert we can have ice-cream with fruit like bananas, apricots or oranges.
Text for Reading
American food is what immigrants bring to the country from all over the world. They say Americans live on hamburgers, hot-dogs, chips and coca-colas. Fast food is very popular in the USA.
Breakfast meal can vary from cereal and milk to eggs and pancakes or French toast (slices of bread dipped in an egg and milk batter and fried).
Lunch tends to be a lighter meal — a sandwich, yogurt, or a light entrée.
Dinner includes a main course of meat, poultry or fish, accompanied by soup, salad and vegetables.
Brunch, a common Sunday meal served between 10.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m., is really a combination of breakfast and lunch. There is a wide variety of foods, depending on which type of restaurant you go to. Some American-style restaurants have a typical menu.
Soups are French onion, chicken, vegetable and soup of the day. Salads are regular.
Main courses are steak, fried chicken, fish, hamburgers, pasta and pizza:
Hot and cold sandwiches are combinations of ham, turkey, roast beef, chicken, tuna or egg salads etc. served between two slices of bread.
Beverages are coffee, tea, soft drinks, mineral water and iced tea.
Desserts are cakes, ice-cream, frozen yogurt, fruit etc.
Americans eat out often. Fast food restaurants-have wide popularity. There are two types of restaurants in the USA, fast food and full-service restaurants. The style of fast food restaurant is much like that of cafeteria. Patron go up to a counter to order their meal: hamburgers, hot chicken sandwiches, and pizza. In full-service restaurants a waiter comes to take patron’s order. To express satisfaction with service patrons will give a tip of 20% of the bill.
I evaluate my work as
I know many words. I can make up word-combinations.
I can answer the questions.
I can make up dialogues.
I can listen to the text and do the task.
I can read the text and understand it.
I have skills in speaking.
I think my mark is ______
Для перегляду презентації натисніть на це посилання: Презентація уроку